have surmised in my estimation why the Oval is perceived as the most
attractive facial shape. It makes total sense to me that if you were
to take every facial shape worn by every human on Earth, combined them
into a composite shape, the Oval would be the result. The most universally
accepted shape would then be the Oval. The Oval would be considered the
most balanced, most normal, and most acceptable, therefore the most aesthetically
pleasing...the most beautiful.
Elements of Design
The Elements of Design are
the basic tools of visual awareness of the subject/client combined with
the learned visual skills of the designer.
- First we begin with evaluating the subject's facial
- Secondly we evaluate the subjects overall height and stature.
- And thirdly we evaluate the subject's skin quality, skin coloration
and skin condition.
The designer then uses the " Elements of Design " to correct,
balance and beautify the areas of weakness, and to bring out and emphasize
the areas of strength and beauty.
Three Basic Movements
I have defined these movements as the primary,
secondary and tertiary movements.
- First is the primary movement, or silhouette. This is the most important
- Next is the secondary movement, or what goes on within the primary
movement (curly, wavy or straight, etc.). This is the second most important
- Then comes the tertiary movement, which consists of the color and
condition of the hair. This is the third awareness.
See each subject (client or model) in these terms as you evaluate them.